Sunday, February 21, 2016
(2/21/2016 02:22:00 PM) - Al
I should let new readers know, and remind veterans some things I will not be discussing ad nauseum, or for that matter, even linking to:
1. Who is in good shape, having gained muscle, or lost weight. Today, I read Scooter Gennett added 5 pounds of muscle over the offseason. Or, maybe he ate a lot of cheese and hasn't taken a crap for 36 hours. Truth is, both those scenarios will be unimportant as to him laying off breaking balls in the dirt.
2. In depth projections on the rotation order, bullpen roles, and so on. Usually, I do a roster prediction about March 1st, but this year, without knowing Stearns and Counsell's beliefs on roster construction, it will be just a guess.
3. Fluff pieces on anyone.
4. Discussion about the coaching staff.
5. Discussion about the weather.
6. Discussion about exhibition game results, especially wins and losses. It's silly to discuss the small samples of player results against a variety of levels of competition, but granted, sometimes there is little else to use, especially for 24th and 25th spots on the roster.
7. What level of the minors a player is going to.
8. "Signings" of players under team control. Outlets that do are either unaware or just filling space.
What will I discuss?
The last 5 spots on the roster, which is usually all that is up for grabs. With a young team like the Brewers, it might be 7-8, depending on unknowns.
Injuries. I wish we could fast forward to April 1st, because players often suffer season ending, or at least, season altering damage in workouts and meaningless games on subpar fields.
Demotions, releases, possible waiver claims. I won't mention when Arcia is inevitably sent down, because Stearns already has stated he will begin the season in AAA, but if one of the Rule 5 guys are offered back, that's very newsworthy, as it opens a 40 man spot and removes a player with potential from the system all at once.
For example, tomorrow, I will publish a piece about 5 players that I think will make the Opening Day roster (or, have a far better chance than you think) that you're not including in the projection in your head.
2/21/2016 02:22:00 PM