Sunday, July 02, 2017
(7/02/2017 07:00:00 AM) - Al
Things no one is thinking about when they blankly say, "They should/will bring Blazek up to start Monday."
1. He can be added to the 40, but he does not have an option. He either has to stay up or clear waivers, and there's no way he will with those superb AAA stats in a very tough place to pitch. He would have to remain with the team AND take the place of a pitcher with options (Espino, Suter, Hader), leaving the team with less flexibility in the future.
2. To be honest, Scahill is on the 25 man and the 40, but is obviously just looked at as a placeholder by the braintrust. He could be switched out at the drop of a hat, and could well be the odd man out if it is Blazek.
3. They do have a 9 man bullpen. Even if takes them 3 guys each going 2 innings to get to the 7th, that would leave them with 6 available relievers for TUE. Also, though Suter and Espino are far from all stars, they should only face each hitter once, unless they are very effective.
4. If they do go to the minors for a MON SP, swapping one of the above 3 with options for Jungmann would be far easier and less concern, as Taylor can go up and down as often as needed in 2017.
5. No one is mentioning it, but if not for that rainless rainout, that SP would only be needed for a single start MON. But, because the Cubs insist on being selfish towards their fans and their opponents (and their own players), the Crew will need a SP for SAT as well (though with the break starting after SUN's game, a "bullpen" game will have a minimal effect on the staff.
I'll just throw it in here rather than make a separate post, but a rainout in NY could play havoc with the Brewers' second half schedule, though they may play the Mets in the second half...a split DH in different parks versus different teams?
NOTE: Nope, no Mets' games in MIL or NY remaining.
Blazek is a nice option to have. They were lucky no one claimed him on waivers in March. However, not being on the 40 is one more step.
7/02/2017 07:00:00 AM